« Home | More Blog Love » | Seatbelts Sold Seperatley » | Too Much Text and Not Enough Pictures On This Stin... » | Ground Patti » | Movie Quote » | You Are What He Sees You As » | "Gone" by Switchfoot » | Tuesday Group Run » | Hek Yeah! » | Hmmm »

Student Ministry

So it's Wednesday about 6:05pm and I'm just leaving my apartment. Just showered. Notes in the car seat next to me.

And WHAM!!! It hits me!

I'm not in the main auditorium directing the sound booth through rehearsal, like I usually am every Wednesday from 5:00-6:30. I'm heading down to the student end of the church to hang with the Middle School tonight!!!!! Yeah, I'd known for 2 weeks that I'd get to speak tonight, but it finally hit me on the 2 minute drive to church, I GET TO HANG WITH THE MIDDLE SCHOOL TONIGHT!!!!!

Lyndale asked me to speak to last night in a series the Middle School is doing called "Word Jumble." The talk was on Integrity. Here were the main points...



Title: The "I" Word


A Key To Integrity Is Consistency

James 3:9-12 - 9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt[a] water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

You have to ask yourself...Does what comes out of my mouth match what I live?

Be aware of that moment when what you said you were going to do and what you are actually going to do collide!

Don't tell me what you say you're gonna do, SHOW ME!

What you live is what you believe and the rest is just talk!

I will be consistent when I live life...
1. With all my heart
2. With all my soul
3. With all my mind
4. With all my strength

Mark 12:28-31 - 28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?" 29 "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'[b] 31 The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[c]There is no commandment greater than these."

How to do it?
1. Focus on Jesus for strength, not yourself
2. Get help from friends who care about you and will give you truth

Something to think about: "If all I am is God's then I am God's all the time"

Labels:

"I will be consistent when I live life..."

A question: is consistency the goal?

No.

It's "a" goal. It's not "the" goal.

cool talk for the students. rocked 4 sure. yeah. it's a goal and the goal that we want: to be consistent with our quiet time, to be consistent will displaying the fruit of the spirit, to be consistent with loving the unloving and unlovely, to be consistent in our walk with Him, to be consistent in welcoming those who are different from us into our life. i like it. don't want to be a double minded person like James spoke of or like the dude in romans 7, paul. lord help me be consistent.

Post a Comment

About me

  • Who?: Sean Walker
  • What?: Husband/Grad Student/Student Pastor
  • When?: Now's good
  • Where?: Fort Worth, TX
  • Why?: Ha!
  • Pics
  • Sermons
  • Videos
  • More Info

Home

My Videos

Networking

  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My Twitter Updates

A Pithy Quote 4 U

  • "The Bible is like a lion, you don't have to defend it, just turn it loose."

    -C.H. Spurgeon

Currently Listening To

  • Ace Troubleshooter

Currently Reading

  • "Parenting with Kingdom Purpose"
    by Ken Hemphill and Richard Ross

  • "Soul Searching"
    by Christian Smith

  • "Transformation of Student Ministry"
    by Richard Ross