« Home | Jason's Deli » | Leave, Cleave & Weave Part 1 » | More Blog Love » | T Minus 1 Month and Counting » | No Cheez Whiz On The Plane » | Blue Chip Investments Roll In » | Tuesday Group Run » | Church Was Rocking Today » | Saturday Group Run and Breakfast » | Don't Mess With Smokey »

Real vs Presented

"Don't spend your life comparing your insides to other people's outsides."

It's a quote I heard today in a sermon from Fellowship Church in Dallas, TX.

It was made in reference in how when we compare ourselves to other people it's easy to feel bad about ourselves b/c we're comparing the "real" us that we know, to the "presented" personality that we see in other people. It's not that the "presented" personality is wrong, but that it's not real.

For example, I'm sure a lot of people look at me and think, oh well Sean's got it all together. He's the pastor's kid. He finished college. He's got a good job. He brushes his teeth. He's polite, and he smiles a lot. His life must be perfect. Ha! (meaning, if you only knew)

Well thats what people from the outside see. Yeah if anyone compared their "real" life to my "presented" life then they'd definitely feel bad. BUT, the "presented" me isn't the real me. Or I guess I should say, the "complete" me. I've got my battles. I've got my insecurities. I've got my flaws. But only my close friends see them b/c that's who I choose to let in.

The point is this. Don't compare the "real" you to other "presented" people. You'll always lose. Compare yourself through your Creator's eyes! Christ's eyes are saying, "You are loved." "You are cherished." "You are wanted." "Warts and all."

Easier said than done though right? But man once we discover and live out that truth... wow!

Labels: , ,

You have no idea how bad I needed to hear that. Even though I already knew it, hearing it from someone else makes all the difference. Thank you. :)

That's an amazing quote. I never thought of it that way. But it's so true ...

Post a Comment

About me

  • Who?: Sean Walker
  • What?: Husband/Grad Student/Student Pastor
  • When?: Now's good
  • Where?: Fort Worth, TX
  • Why?: Ha!
  • Pics
  • Sermons
  • Videos
  • More Info

Home

My Videos

Networking

  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My Twitter Updates

A Pithy Quote 4 U

  • "The Bible is like a lion, you don't have to defend it, just turn it loose."

    -C.H. Spurgeon

Currently Listening To

  • Ace Troubleshooter

Currently Reading

  • "Parenting with Kingdom Purpose"
    by Ken Hemphill and Richard Ross

  • "Soul Searching"
    by Christian Smith

  • "Transformation of Student Ministry"
    by Richard Ross