« Home | Spritual Clarity » | Pic » | What Do Anchor Groups and Wendys Have In Common? » | ABC » | Raw Emotion + Good Music = What? » | The Christmas Jam » | Christmas Music » | Beginning My Tradition » | Stealth » | Step 2 »

"Sean Did You..."










-"...go parading this week? Man! You're sunburn."
-"Oh yeah, I was screaming, 'Throw me something Mr.' all week long!"

I'm actually a rare breed for south Louisiana. I was born and raised in Lafayette, and I've never been to a parade in my life. I kind of like saying that. When I was a kid our family always went out of town for Mardi Gras. Always. I was never in town. We would go to this place we called "The Farm." It's a friend of the family's summer home in the boonies of Mississippi. I mean boonies. At The Farm they had a couple of ponds stocked with fish, four wheelers, golf carts, tractors, huge open feilds, a swimming pool, and a small cozy little house. It was a little kid's dream. My 3 brothers and I and our parents have so many awesome memories from the farm.

Here's one... One time (I guess I was around 10 or so) I was driving a four wheeler and I had my over sized helmet on that I could barely see out of. My head was so small inside the helmet that I had to throw my head to the left to actually twist the helmet to the left so I could see in that direction. And it was night time. So not a good combination of circumstances. Well I'm making a circle around the barn and I jerk my head up so that I could see the stars in the sky. And I'm like, "Oh, those are cool." Then WHAMMM! I slam into something. Well b/c I whiplashed so hard, my helmet twisted forward and while I was looking forward, I was actually looking into the top of the helemt. So I twist the helmet back so I can see what the hek I ran into, hoping it was the fence or something not valuable. Well as I fix my helmet I see that I slammed into my brother Michael who was driving a golf cart, who just happened to pass in front of me right as I was looking up and not paying attention. It was hilarious! Of course at the moment I was scared out of my mind b/c I thought I broke the gofl cart. I don't remember much after that. I think we had to peel the golf cart and four wheeler apart b/c I hit it so hard.

So this place holds a thousand family memories for the Walkers. Well that's where I got to spend Mardi Gras. Just me and my dad. Fishing, talking, reading the Word, four wheeling, and eating some RIGHTEOUS food that Justin Head taught me how to cook the night before we left. It was one of the best vacations I've taken in a long time. Talk about feeling re-energized when I got back in town. It was great!










Talk about some mudding my Dad and I did! That's one of the cabins on one of the lakes in the background.










The main house at The Farm.

Man, that sounds like an awesome place. We had a place similar when we were growing up. I am not a native Louisianan, but I have been to one parade to see what it is all about, that was enough for me! What do you do with a bunch of stupid beads after you catch them? Go figure. In Texas when you had a parade the people threw candy, and gift cards and the like. It was much better!!!

I liked what you got to do with your dad. I miss that proximity to my dad, we use to fish and play basketball and many other things when we were closer. Now I only see him about once every three months or so.

My Mardi Gras was good until I missed my arraignment at Lafayette court. I had taken Monday off and forgot I was supposed to be at court at 1:00 pm. Well on Wednesday I found out my drivers license was suspended and I had a $500 bench warrant out! I went in right after I found out and rescheduled everything and they only charged me a $25 contempt of court and let me schedule to go back to court another day. Thank God, I was panicky!!!. Anyway, looks like you a good time.

Later

Ag96

Oh my goodness! I know you had to of been scrambling to get there once you realized you forgot. I hate forgetting little stuff like lunch appointments, but a Court appointment? Dang!

Yeah, I never really understood the whole Mardi Gras and parade thing. I know for some people it's their favorite Holiday, but it just seems weird to me.

Yeah, my Dad is The Man! My time with him has been invaluable. I could write an entire blog just about how amazing he is. My time with him has been HUGE! Talk about a man of wisdom! I just shake my head when I realize how blessed I am to get to spend so much time with him.

Post a Comment

About me

  • Who?: Sean Walker
  • What?: Husband/Grad Student/Student Pastor
  • When?: Now's good
  • Where?: Fort Worth, TX
  • Why?: Ha!
  • Pics
  • Sermons
  • Videos
  • More Info

Home

My Videos

Networking

  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My Twitter Updates

A Pithy Quote 4 U

  • "The Bible is like a lion, you don't have to defend it, just turn it loose."

    -C.H. Spurgeon

Currently Listening To

  • Ace Troubleshooter

Currently Reading

  • "Parenting with Kingdom Purpose"
    by Ken Hemphill and Richard Ross

  • "Soul Searching"
    by Christian Smith

  • "Transformation of Student Ministry"
    by Richard Ross