« Home | Life Lessons From The Road #1 » | More Pics » | Humility's Source » | Some of my Favorite Pics » | Hmm? » | East Bayou Jr. High » | Alive - Louie Giglio » | Put Me In Coach » | Losing Yourself Part 2 » | Losing Yourself »

Cool Movie Quote

"The harder thing to do and the right thing to do are usually the same thing."

When I'm in a situation and I have to choose between good and best, that's a question I ask myself to help figure out what I need to do.

So, what if you're choosing between best and best? What do you do then?

That's funny you ask that. I had a discussion today about what the word best means ina very similar context. One of your favorite discussion... If there is "The One" out there for everyone. It was really good conversation. I thought about you.

Here's my response to your question…

I don't think you can have more than one best. By definition the word best means, “excelling all others” and therefore is singular and cannot be plural in any form. You can have a bunch of “really awesomes”, and only one “best”, but no other best. Make sense?

I agree with you definition of "best". It is true that frequently you have a decision to make that is between two "really awesomes" when "best" is not an option. Kind of like when you make a decision to buy a car. You think "I want the 'best' car!" Hmm, what is that? A Mclaren F1? Maybe, can you afford the "best", probably not, so you have to satisfice. So maybe you go with an Expedition or a Tahoe or whatever, but what is "best"? Well in this case you take what meets the requirements and fits the budget, etc. So in this case the "best" is unattainable, but "really awesome" is good enough. I guess the question then is, does doing the thing that is harder actually mean doing the best or doing good enough for the situation?

Post a Comment

About me

  • Who?: Sean Walker
  • What?: Husband/Grad Student/Student Pastor
  • When?: Now's good
  • Where?: Fort Worth, TX
  • Why?: Ha!
  • Pics
  • Sermons
  • Videos
  • More Info

Home

My Videos

Networking

  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My Twitter Updates

A Pithy Quote 4 U

  • "The Bible is like a lion, you don't have to defend it, just turn it loose."

    -C.H. Spurgeon

Currently Listening To

  • Ace Troubleshooter

Currently Reading

  • "Parenting with Kingdom Purpose"
    by Ken Hemphill and Richard Ross

  • "Soul Searching"
    by Christian Smith

  • "Transformation of Student Ministry"
    by Richard Ross