« Home | Group Run - 3.1 » | Unprompted (if that's even a word) Love » | Tonight's Weather Was Crazy » | My Working Definition of Wisdom » | Group Run - 2.2 » | My Friend Who Hates Video Games Asked That I Post ... » | Group Run - Post 2.1 » | Group Run - Post 1.3 » | Hunt for Red July - Post 6 » | Group Run - Post 1.2 »

A Great Question...

Wednesday night I was asked this question...

"What do you do when your walk with God is just dry?"

This is such a great question. It's a frequent question and a valuable question. I answered the best I could but I'm terribly curious how other people would of answered.

What to do if my walk is dry? This is an interesting concept that I think everyone should learn from. I personally think of a plant. Let me try to explain. A plant needs water and soil not to dry up. If you do not keep watering a plant, it will start to wilt. If you water this plant and it has good soil, it will quickly recover and again become a beautiful plant. Our lives are very similiar. Our nutrience, or soil, is the Word of God. We need to spend time in the Word of God and spend time studying it with others to make sure our soil is rich. While good soil is good for our lives, we also need water in order to grow. To me this water is obedience to Him. That means we love and serve others, not in order to get to heaven, but to obey Him who saved us and to be His hands in the world. If we feel like we are starting to "wilt" we should check our "soil" and make sure that we are watering properly. From my experience, usually I find that if I am drying up, it is because I am focusing more on myself rather than others.

i like the last sentence you wrote the best.

well, since i am feeling rather dry right now i can comment on this. i know why i am "dry". I have been working a very demanding job this entire summer. my last week was filled with 75 hours of working time in the office. this week isnt looking too different. its not that i dont like my job, i really like my work. the problem is like what heath was saying. basically i have been spending time for me and only me. my life is literally filled with work right now. i have a schedule: wake up, shower, eat, work, work, work, sleep, start all over. does anyone see God in there? so i would say that the way to keep from drying out is to make room for God in everything that we are doing. so i think that pretty much repeats heath's last comment except in a really long paragraph.

O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for you. My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water.
Psalm 63:1

When your walk with God is dry then essentially you are dry.

How do we get dry? We immerse ourselves in things that are empty and possess no soul quenching value. We fill our lives with empty things and wonder why we can't sustain ourselves.

How do we moisten up? One thing we know that is true is that God never changes so He is never dry. The change that is mandatory should always start with us (not our church that doesn't interst us the way it used to or our friends that may waiver and seem hypocritical.)

What we should do is submerge our WHOLE selves in the river of life, we should drink from the eternal well. How do we do this , it sounds easy enough right? First we need to commit to our Maker, we need to pray everday, read His word everyday(it does promise to guide us, encourage us, feed us,and quench our thirsty soul.) and finally spend God-focused time with our brothers and sisters everyday. (e-mail, phone, or good old-fashioned person to person conversations).

When we get dry we should seek and drink from the river of life which never leaves us.

Post a Comment

About me

  • Who?: Sean Walker
  • What?: Husband/Grad Student/Student Pastor
  • When?: Now's good
  • Where?: Fort Worth, TX
  • Why?: Ha!
  • Pics
  • Sermons
  • Videos
  • More Info

Home

My Videos

Networking

  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My Twitter Updates

A Pithy Quote 4 U

  • "The Bible is like a lion, you don't have to defend it, just turn it loose."

    -C.H. Spurgeon

Currently Listening To

  • Ace Troubleshooter

Currently Reading

  • "Parenting with Kingdom Purpose"
    by Ken Hemphill and Richard Ross

  • "Soul Searching"
    by Christian Smith

  • "Transformation of Student Ministry"
    by Richard Ross